Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chicken Sausage Fettuccine with Roasted Red Pepper Spaghetti Sauce and Broccoli

Hello Readers!

Tonight I was trying to play with some of the leftover food that I had in the fridge instead of going to store to buy something new. My husband wanted a pasta dish so I decided to use some of the leftover chicken sausage that I used earlier this week, grabbed a pack of fettuccine that I had in my cupboard along with a jar of roasted red pepper spaghetti sauce. I had a bag of frozen broccoli that I brought up to a boil as well for a healthy side. Enjoy!

Chicken Sausage Fettuccine with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:

3 links of chicken sausage, cut into slices
Olive oil
1 box of fettuccine
1 jar of roasted red pepper spaghetti sauce (I buy mine at Kroger for $1)
Fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, roughly-chopped

*I am going to put my own plug in here for fresh herbs. I used to use dried herbs because I did not think it made a big difference. Wow, was I wrong! I will not use anything else besides fresh herbs when I make a dish that calls for herbs. My go-to herbs that I keep in my fridge at all times are parsley (Italian flat-leaf and regular) and cilantro. It gives off an amazing aroma when you start to run your knife through it. The other thing about fresh herbs that I love is that they are SO cheap! When I go to Kroger I get a large hunk of cilantro for $0.65 and parsley from $0.65 to $0.90. How can you beat that? These are staple items to add to your weekly or bi-weekly grocery list.

Instructions:

In a non-stick skillet, drizzle olive oil into the bottom of the pan and put in the sliced sausage. Turn on high heat and cook until the sausage is browned. Drain in a strainer and put back in the skillet. Mix the entire jar of spaghetti sauce in the non-stick skillet with the sausage and cook on low heat until warm. In another pot, cook the fettuccine until al dente, drain and place in the non-stick skillet just long enough to toss with the sauce and sausage. Just before serving, sprinkle the chopped parsley on the top and serve.





Broccoli:

1 frozen bag of broccoli cooked per instructions on the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment