Thursday, September 8, 2011

Grilled Italian Sausage and Homemade Cabbage Slaw

Hello Readers!

It was a beautiful evening for grilling outside after all of this rain and dreary weather that we have had so I had to take the opportunity to grill something this week. My husband and I love sausage and usually have some sort of sausage meal once a week. I wanted to branch out today and grill the sausages instead of cooking them in a skillet. When we were at Sam's Club this past weekend, we picked up a pack of 15 sausages for about $12 that were an Italian Chicken Sausage with Red Peppers and Provolone Cheese. They had quite the variety of sausage flavors and I will buy these again for sure! Enjoy!

Italian Sausage

1 pack of Artisan Fresh All-Natural Italian Style Chicken Sausage with Provolone Cheese.

Grill to your preference.





Homemade Cabbage Slaw

*Let me preface this by saying I am in LOVE with coleslaw. I could eat this all day long. I have made several varieties of my own coleslaw and the recipe below is my own concoction.

1 head of red cabbage, chopped
1 bag of shredded carrots
1 large cluster of celery, thinly sliced (you can use a food processor, but I always slice mine by hand)
1/2 cup of white vinegar
2 tablespoons of honey
1/2 cup of Duke's mayonnaise
4 tablespoons of sugar

Instructions:

Chop cabbage and celery until all are thinly sliced. Combine in a bowl with the already shredded carrots. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, honey, mayo and 2 tablespoons of the sugar (the rest will be used later) until smooth. Once combined, pour on top of the cabbage mixture and toss. Sprinkle the remaining sugar to your taste on top of the cabbage mixture and toss again.
*This extra sugar may sound interesting, however this gets rid of the sometimes bitter flavor of the cabbage and gives a little extra crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment