Saturday, September 17, 2011

Saturday Afternoon Treat: Chili

Happy Weekend Readers!

Today was cold and overcast here in VA and I felt like a warm bowl of chili. I have made many varieties of chili in my lifetime, but I have to say the recipe that I made today is one the best. This particular chili recipe is courtesy of one of my mom's best friends and has a story to go along with it.

Last year, my mom and brother had the amazing opportunity to go out to Colorado to go skiing. My mom's good friend and her family met my mom and brother out there for the week. They rented a beautiful home and got to enjoy all of the grandeur of Colorado. After a day full of skiing, it was the perfect opportunity to make a big pot of chili to warm everyone up that evening. My mom's friend made the recipe below. This family is special to my family as they were one of the first families we met when we moved to North Carolina when I was a teenager. This family has a HUGE love for the Georgia Bulldogs and became one of the reasons why my family supports this amazing team! Go DAWGS! I hope all of you enjoy this recipe, but more importantly the great memories that go along with it.

Chili:

1 lb. ground beef or turkey (I did not have any ground beef or turkey in the house so I thinly sliced leftover turkey sausage that I had in the house)
2 onions, chopped (I use white)
1 cup celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped

1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. chili powder (to taste)
1/2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. cumin
1 tbs. sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can of diced tomatoes with juice
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Instructions:

In a dutch oven or skillet, brown meat and drain. Add onion, celery, pepper, and saute for 10 minutes. Combine all into dutch oven or large pot. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours. Drain beans then add and cook to warm and soften beans. Enjoy!

Sauteing in a Non-Stick Skillet:



All Combined:



Ready to Eat:

No comments:

Post a Comment