Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Crockpot BBQ Chicken, Au Gratin Potatoes and Green Salad

Hello Readers!

I have to say that I feel like I have failed the 2nd day in to this cooking blog because my meal was not really 'inventive'. Nevertheless, it turned out to be just perfect for a semi-homemade meal.

Crockpot BBQ Chicken:

For those of you who have never used your crockpot before or do not use it often, you need to! I work long hours and it is very nice to have a meal that is already almost prepared when I walk in the door all thanks to my crockpot. I love the simplicity and ease of something cooking 'low and slow' as I believe meat should be cooked! Regardless, this recipe can be utilized many ways and you can be very creative with it.

4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (fresh or thawed, if frozen)
1 large bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (I used KC Masterpiece Honey BBQ Sauce)
2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
1/4 cup of chicken broth

Instructions:

Turn your crockpot on high, combine all ingredients and stir. Keep your crockpot on high for 1 hour to allow the meat to start cooking before you turn it down to low (As a tip: I normally start this 1 hour before I need to leave the house in the morning while I am getting ready and then turn the crockpot to low when I am leaving for the day). Let cook in the crockpot 6-8 hours or until chicken is fully cooked. My sauce was a little runny when I came home so I added two heaping tablespoons of white flour to thicken it up and within 30 minutes, the sauce was nice and thick. When you are about 30 minutes from plating your meal, take the chunks of chicken out of the crockpot and shred like BBQ and place back in the crockpot for about 30 minutes. You can enjoy this BBQ chicken the way my husband likes it, on top of two slices of white bread or like me, who just eats it plain:) Enjoy this simple meal!

After shredding (I know this is not the best picture, but this was the best I could do taking a picture in a hot and steamy crockpot):



Au Gratin Potatoes:

1 box of Idaho Au Gratin Potatoes (yes, I was not very inventive here and actually used boxed potatoes tonight:) I promise that sometime soon I will make my Grandmother's sour cream potatoes that are out-of-this-world good to make up for these potatoes tonight.

Instructions:

Prepare per box directions

Green Salad:

1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
Baby carrots, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
Kalamata olives, either whole or chopped
Croutons
Salt and Pepper
Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing

Instructions:

In a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, carrots, onions, olives and croutons. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add dressing to your taste and toss.

Tonight's Complete Meal:

No comments:

Post a Comment